Phil Hart moved to approve the minutes of the July 6 meeting, Marlene Tomczak seconded, all in favor, motion carried.
Under Old Business:
1) The Comprehensive Plan was reviewed. Bob Nevalainen reported that Mike Ward and Chuck Remus attended a Township Board meeting and addressed several issues recommended in the plan regarding Voyageurs National Park. The Township appreciates the National Park's involvement in the community and the dedication of Mike and Chuck as well as other staff members of the National Park. It was recommended that the Township meet with officials of the park again next summer. Bob Nevalainene reported that St. Louis County has completed another traffic count. Marlene Tomczak moved and Betsey Warrington seconded to write a draft of the report to update the Comprehensive Plan. All in favor, the motion carried. Betsey will write the draft to be approved at the January Planning Board meeting. Bob also reporting that the section survey has been completed by the County.
2) 2010 Governor's Fishing Opener --- Raffle ticket sales are going well. Meetings are being held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. The next meeting will be Oct. 21. Meetings are open to the public. Everyone is invited to attend. Volunteers are needed for the many events.
Under New Business:
1) Self Defense/Weather alarm system: Phil Hart expressed the need for the area to have a warning system in place. Possible grant options were discussed. Betsey Warrington will send a memo to the Fire Chief, Larry Warrington, to see what grants might be available and ask him to explore the possibilities of applying for them.
Under Committee Reports:
1) Community Hall: Marlene Tomczak and Sande Moyer will be participating in a teleconference with a representative from ARDC on Tuesday, Oct. 6. Letters requesting donations have been sent.
2) Voyageurs National Park: Kathleen Przybylski reported by conference call. A premier of a film produced by the Minneapolis Public Television Station that features National Park Sites in Minnesota was held last Friday. Copies of the film are being distributed to schools and other establishments all over the state. The new tour board on Rainy Lake was dedicated last Saturday as well as the ground breaking for the new park headquarters building. The building is part of the International Falls Riverfront Improvement Project. The park headquarters construction will begin this Spring with plans of opening in 2011.
Funding has been obtained campsite rehabilitation in 2010. The park is also purchasing additional food lockers for campsites. The national park has also received additional funding for additional docks to accommodate the new tour boat on Rainy Lake as well as hiring winter staff to work on continuing projects.
3) Trails/Roads: Having a local operator in Kabetogama Township has not been addressed by St. Louis County. Bob Nevalainen will talk to Mike Forsman of the County Board about the problem. The planning board is recommending that the Township Board submit a letter to the County detailing the importance of having our roads cleared in a timely manner.
4) Namakan Basin Waste Water Project: Bob Nevalainen gave updates on the agreement between St. Louis County and Koochiching County. The name of the project will be the Voyageurs National Park Clean Waters Project. Marlene Tomczak moved to have the Township send a letter of thanks to Voyageurs National Park for their cooperation with and support of this project. Betsey Warrington seconded. All in favor, the motion carried. Minutes of those meetings are available on the SEH and Kabetogama Township websites. Various grants have been applied for.
Under Other Business:
1) Terms expiring: There are 2 positions open in 2010 for 3 year terms on the Kabetogama Township Planning Board. Applications for interested parties are being taken. A notice regarding the openings will be published in December. The Planning Board will review the applications at their January meeting and make their recommendations at the annual meeting of the Township in March.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on Monday, January 4, 2010,