PLANNING BOARD MINUTES
OCTOBER 5, 2015
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 p.m. Members present were; Marlene Tomczak, Jill Kiner, Rusty Lehto and Betsey Warrington. Also present was Carol Steigmeir.
The agenda was approved.
Rusty moved to approve the minutes from the April 6, 2015 meeting. Jill seconded. All in favor, the motion carried. There was no meeting in July.
Under Old Business:
• “Town Hall”
1. Marlene has received a bid for the letters to be installed on the outside of the building. They’ll be 15” and match the color on the doors.
2. Storage Building – Dave Cook has built the building. The siding needs to be ordered and the inside needs to be painted. Upon its completion, items that are being stored in the Sr. Citizen’s building will be moved.
3. Landscaping – Marlene has contacted Sjoblom’s in hope that the project will be completed this fall. They’ve suggested laying fabric, then rock & planting juniper bushes & possibly a couple of trees.
• Follow up letter to St. Louis Co. - This will be pursued more when a new District 3A representative is elected in Dec.
Under New Business:
• Board appointments: A notice to apply for the Planning Board seat that was made vacant by Marlene Tomczak upon her election to the Township Board of Supervisors, was published. Carol Stegmeir had expressed her interest in serving. Marlene moved to recommend the appointment of Carol to the Township Board for the completion of Marlene’s term, which will expire in 2016. Betsey seconded. All in favor, the motion carried. Marlene will be the liaison to the Township Board. Thanks to Carol and Marlene for filling these positions.
• Playground: The Nevalainen’s have purchased a playground structure in memory of their parents, Bob & Gail. It has been installed. They are pursing options for materials to lay under the structure. Thanks to them for the wonderful addition to our community. Betsey will contact them about obtaining a culture & tourism grant from IRRRB in 2016 for additional equipment.
• “Town Hall” – Marlene would like to address the sulfur smell from the hot water tank. Paul Kiner will check into this. The septic tank needs to be emptied before winter. Jill will follow up with Viita’s about the alarm system and if it is working properly.
• Voyageurs National Park – Had several events to celebrate their 40th anniversary & are gearing up for the National Park System’s 100th anniversary in 2016. The reservation system seemed to work well, generating income for VNP which will be used to improve campsites.
• Trails/Roads – The Township will be seeking letters of support to send to St. Louis Co. for an addition of wide shoulders for bicycle traffic when the roads are surfaced – scheduled for 2017.
• Discussion is being held about accepting a donation of a Muggli Totem Pole from Kent & Dawn Keeler. A few options for getting it moved have been explored. Bedrock around the “Town Hall” is a problem for installation. This will be discussed further & addressed at the Township Board meeting.
There being no further business, Jill moved to adjourn at 8:20 p.m. Rusty seconded. All in favor, the motion carried.
The next meeting will be held January 4, 2016.