PLANNING BOARD MINUTES
October 3, 2016
The meeting was called to order by chair, Carol Stegmeir at 7:00 p.m. Members present were; Vickie Peterson, Carol Stegmeir and Betsey Warrington. Also present were Kevin Grossheim of Voyagers National Park, Marlene Tomczak, liaison to the Township Board or Supervisors and Deanne Kruse of Carefree Living, Cook & Orr, MN.
Carol moved to approve the agenda. Vickie seconded. All in favor the motion carried.
Carol moved to approve the minutes from the Jan. 4, 2016 meeting. Betsey seconded. All in favor, the motion carried.
Deanne Kruse explained Carefree Village and said that she would like to sponsor a presentation in the Kabetogama Area to increase awareness of the services they offer. Kevin suggested the presentation be make at the Hunter’s Supper on Nov. 5, since a number of people would be present. The presentation will take place from 2:00 – 3:00. Deanne will remain until 5:00 to answer questions and hand out information brochures. There will be a drawing for a door prize.
Under Old Business:
- Widening of shoulder for bike path; A public meeting was held to discuss the situation. Over 40 were in attendance. The county explained that it was cost prohibitive to widen the shoulders on both sides of the roads when the resurfacing takes place in 2017. Additional grading to accommodate the shoulders would also entail getting easements granted from private land owners, pushing the timeline for the project back indefinitely. They suggested that 4’ wide shoulder be made on one side of the road – There will be little or no shoulder on the opposite side.
- Playground: The Nevalainen Family plans to have a grand opening when more of the area is complete. There is a problem with broken glass in the area adjacent to the structure. The playground saw a lot of use this summer.
- Update on Community Projects; The Pucks Point Sewer District project is moving forward albeit with many problems and setbacks.
- “Little Library”; Carol brought information about these structures which would be placed in a convenient location in the community. Anyone can bring a book & take a book. There could be one for kids as well as adults. Kevin suggested acquiring an ice house to put the library in. We’re open to suggestions.
- ATV Trails; There will be ribbon cutting celebration on Wed., Oct. 5 at USFS 203 & CR180 at Elephant Lake. The establishment of these trails is being encouraged in this area to promote tourism, connecting the gateway communities.
- Expiring Board Terms; Vickie & Rusty’s terms expire in 2017. A public notice for openings should be posted by Dec. 1. Vickie has expressed an interest in staying on the board. We’ll check with Rusty since he was absent from the meeting.
- Dates of 2017 meetings; Jan 2, April 3, July 3, Oct 2.
- Town Hall – Phil Rhodes has donated and installed a water conditioning system which has eliminated the sulfur smell from the hot water heater – many thanks.
- Voyageurs National Park – Buoy removal has started – New next year will be a reservation system with fees for houseboat sites. The parking lots and boat ramp will have to be removed and replaced at the Rainy Lake Visitor’s Center in 2017 causing these areas to be closed for a long period of time. There were several search & rescue operations early in the season, but tapering off as the summer went on. The reservation system seems to be working much better.
- Trails/Roads – covered in Old & New Business
- Namakan Basin Waste Water Project – in progress
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
The next meeting will be Jan. 2, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. at the Town Hall.