The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
A motion was made by Marlene Tomczak to approve the minutes of the May 5 meeting with the correction regarding the Joint Powers Committee. Minutes should read “A Joint Powers Committee has been proposed to be established consisting of members from Crane Lake, Ash River and Kabetogama”. Betsey Warrington seconded. All in favor, the motion carried.
Under Old Business:
1. The Comprehensive Plan was reviewed. It was stated that it is a working document which will be monitored for additions and corrections. The Planning Board will assist the Township Supervisors in implementing the plan. Marlene made a motion to recommend that the Comprehensive Plan be approved by the Board of Supervisors as presented, including the Vision Statement. Betsey seconded. All in favor, the motion carried.
2. Signage: A new sign for the Kab-Ash Trail has been obtained. It needs to be installed. Dave McRoberts will be asked to help with this project. Jill Kiner has posts available.
3. A contract has been drawn up with Greg House for the mowing of the Arrowhead Trail.
4. The cell tower is up and running by AT&T and Cell one. Other customers may be added in the future.
There being no New Business, Committee Reports were given.
1. Kathleen Przybylski of Voyageurs National Park reported on the Heart of the Continent Partnership. The group consists of various members from the U.S. and Canada who, while working as individual organizations are sharing research and resources while promoting the vast recreational area which is located in the “heart” of the North American Continent. The group has acquired a grant from the Quetico Superior Foundation to hire Brett Hesla as a coordinator.
2. The proposed Joint Powers Committee will be making a presentation to the County Board on July 1in Duluth to request a $200,000 grant for an area Sewer Service District.. There will be a public meeting for the Puck’s Point Subordinate Service District on June 26.
3. Voyageur’s National Park Summer programs have started. Their seasonal workers are all on board. Mike Ward from Ulysses S. Grant National Park in Missouri has been hired as the new park superintendent.
4. The Trail Rendezvous sponsored by VNPA was held in May. Most of the parks trails were covered. The entire Kab-Ash Trail was hiked. Volunteers marked areas that needed clearing and other maintenance. The park summer maintenance staff will use the data to repair and clear the trails.
5. Birding areas have been identified and a new publication is available.
There being no further business, Marlene moved to adjourn. Jerry Mitchell seconded. All in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
There will be no meeting June 30. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held October 6 at 7:00 p.m. at the Fire Station.
Betsey Warrington, secretary
Draft – minutes not complete until approved at the Oct. 6 Kabetogama Township Planning Board meeting.