JULY 1, 2018
The Planning Board meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. by chair, Carol Stegmeir. Members present, in addition to Carol were, Kevin Grossheim, Vickie Peterson and Betsey
Warrington. Marlene Tomczak was also present as a representative to the Township Board of Supervisors.
Betsey moved to approve the agenda – Vickie seconded it. All in favor, the motion carried.
Carol moved to approve the minutes from the December, 2017 Board Meeting. Vickie seconded it. All in favor, the motion carried.
Under Old Business:
- Little Library – Marge Wigton’s family would like to donate a licensed little library in her memory to be placed at the Town Hall as soon as it is ready, it will be installed.
- Outdoor Message Board – has been installed. Suggestions were made as to how residents can submit flyers to be displayed. Kevin will check into getting a standalone drop/mail box. We’ll ask Mary Manninen to approve the flyers for posting. If she’s uncomfortable with any, she can refer the decision to one of the Township Supervisors.
- Flag pole – has been installed. Marlene is checking with Lee Herseth about installing a light to shine on the flag – Kevin suggested that a double light be installed so that one can shine down on the message board.
- Changeable sign – Marlene has checked with the sign company to see if the sign could be slanted more toward the road. They haven’t responded. Most likely it would be cost prohibitive to have it moved.
Under New Business:
- Medical Devices available to borrow – Several Medical items have been donated, such as a walker, 2 wheelchairs, a shower chair, etc. for people to borrow. Marlene will write up an article for the July Community Newsletter letting people know about this service and to ask for donations of other equipment.
- Clean water initiatives informational meetings – Letters have been sent to residents who live on or near the lake. The meetings will be held July 18 & 29 to discuss the clean water plan for Kabetogama and the short & long term strategy to address the improvement of community wastewater sanitary sewer infrastructure.
- Heli Pad – On going construction and fund raising for the project is taking place. Kevin suggested bringing in a helicopter from North Care Service to demonstrate how the helicopters are used to transport patients to help promote donations for the project. He suggested a visual display thermometer would be helpful to see the progress of the fund raising project.
- Town Hall – Kevin suggested getting a chair rail installed in the office since the walls are getting marred. Marlene will check into it.
- Voyageurs National Park – There was a fuel spill in Peterson Bay. Park Rangers (Kevin) distributed informational flyers about the spill. Kevin suggested a group email be established when there is an emergency in order to notify people in a more timely fashion. Carol suggested having a signup sheet available at the primary election in August. Rock Garden improvements are being made – including handicapped access. A student corps is involved in the project as well as improvements to the Kab/Ash Trial, and developing a roadway to the helipad on the Ash River. The federal govt. has issued a Voyageurs National Park quarter. The coin release event was held both at Kabetogama & at park headquarters. There is a You Tube video of the event.
- Trails/Roads – The roads have all been resurfaced & striping will take place soon.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:00.
The next meeting will be held on October 1 at 7:00 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Betsey Warrington, Secretary